Sunday, January 24, 2010

Free antivirus: Better or Worse?

Free Antivirus Software: 
Can my system be protected well with free software?
     I have found that most proprietary antivirus software actually reduces overall speed and stability of one's PC. I am also appalled at the price people pay for such poor software. Why pay so much for Norton Antivirus when it slows your computer down more than the viruses it attempts to remove?
     Security Suites tend to slow computers down more than other software and they also tend to cost more. Some people who use Norton or McAfee randomly lose all internet connectivity, even when the suite is disabled. I am an experienced computer repair and servicing expert, and to fix this issue the only thing I have to do is remove those softwares and their computers work again without an issue. That part is tricky especially; Norton and McAfee are peculiarly difficult to remove sometimes. You can use this utility to remove all Norton Products if the uninstaller is broken or difficult to use: Norton Removal Tool
     These situations have inspired me to create a post to inform the world of the free (and better) alternatives. As a network security suite, Microsoft's Security Essentials works wonderfully and doesn't impact system speed. I don't think it is necessary though, Windows Firewall and Windows Defender are effective enough for most people.
     As for antivirus software, there are numerous free alternatives. I will list the top 3 on my list for your benefit:
All 3 have consistently updated virus definitions and are completely free. They do not heavily impact system performance either. But, I still recommend turning off and resident shields or real-time scanners, as they will negatively impact performance and will not greatly increase security.